Where oh where has July gone!? It honestly feels like just last week I was planning my July tbr list. This month has been quite a rollercoaster of books and FEELS (more on that later in this post) and an amazing month of reading and eating.
The books I delved into this month were:
- A reread of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas ( I couldn’t get this series out of my head, so started rereading it straight after I finished A Court of Mist and Fury. I was planning on rereading ACOMAF too, but decided I wanted to read some new books first!)
- Beyond the Red by Ava Jae (my review for this will be coming soon)
- Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (you can read my review here)
- Wye by Jack Croxall
- Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kauffman (book 2 of the Illuminae Files – out October 13th!)
- The audiobook of Illuminae
I’m so pleased I managed to read 5 books this month! After weeks and weeks of not being able to read much because of exams and general school exhaustion, I’m loving the freedom of being able to read to my heart’s content! Of course, I would’ve loved to have read more books but I’m hoping I’ll get to do that in August. I’ve also just discovered the amazingness of audiobooks. Don’t get me wrong, I do prefer reading books, but it’s so nice to be able to just lie down, close my eyes and be absorbed into a world. The audiobook of Illuminae is particularly good, there’s about 20 cast members and the voice for Ezra is perfect! I haven’t finished it yet, but I’m enjoying being able to switch off to it.
My favourite book I read this month was Illuminae, IT WAS JUST SO GOOD! I posted a review for it here. I seriously cannot get this book out my head. I know there’s been some mixed opinions over this book (though why I don’t understand – this book is life… no, seriously!) but I couldn’t recommend it more. The second book (Gemina) is out on October 13th and is also absolutely incredible. This series is definitely in my top 5 and I don’t think I’ll ever get over its amazingness (said every bookworm ever whenever they’ve discovered a new favourite!)
The books I added to my collection this month were:
- The Assassin’s Blade by Sarah J Maas
- an ARC of Gemina (Illuminae Files book 2) by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kauffman (sent to me by the lovely Rock the Boat publishers)
- All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker (an exciting gift from HarperCollins ahead of its release on 28th July)
- United As One by Pittacus Lore (a new release sent to me by the wonderful Penguin Random House)
- an ARC of Revenger by Alastair Reynolds (out September)
- an ARC of A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (out 20th October)
Products I’ve been using/eating this month:
- Coconut Merchant goodies! I’ve been obsessed with Coconut Merchant this month – I’m a huge coconut fan and love everything that comes from it. I never knew how much stuff can be made from a coconut before trying Coconut Merchant’s products and I’m in awe at how delicious it all is. I’ve been using their coconut syrup in EVERYTHING and their coconut jam is beyond comprehension – a jam made from 100% coconut that tastes like a cross between toffee and fudge. Their coconut chips have been the perfect on-the-go snack and because of their resealable bag, they’re so easy to just pop in your bag ready for when you need a pick-me-up.
- Every time I have to wash my hair in the evenings I’ve been using Faith in Nature’s new lavender and geranium intensive conditioner. Lavender is one of my all time favourite smells, it’s just so relaxing and makes me sleepy so I love it before bed. Having the scent around my head is perfect before snuggling up with a book in bed and my hair is feeling less dry and frizzy.
- Rio Rosa’s cream cleanser and intensive night cream have become new regular editions to my evening routine. I take my makeup off using coconut oil, wash my face with the soothing cream cleanser and then (once my face has dried) apply the intensive night cream. My skin is already looking better because of the cleanser and my face feels so much softer!
Delve into Dystopia around the web:
- I had a recipe posted up on the Creative Nature blog! It’s a super yummy recipe for banana caramel muffins which are vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free!
- I was also mentioned over on Rachael Farrimond’s blog in her blog post about science fiction books – you should check it out, it’s a good blog post!